Parke, near Bovey Tracey, Devon, TQ13 9JQ
The Newton Abbot to Bovey Tracey cycleway mainly follows the route taken by the granite quarried from beneath Haytor (a granite tor in Dartmoor National Park) and transported to Newton Abbot. It is a moderate 9 mile cycle route along fairly quiet roads, with some traffic-free sections, waymarked with blue cycleway signs.
A short walk of roughly 1 mile from the town of Bovey Tracey along a public footpath leading to Parke Estate.
Newton Abbot train station 6 miles and Exeter St Davids train station 16 miles.
Just 2 miles from A38 Devon Expressway, connecting Plymouth to Exeter.
Parking: Car park £2 per day (free to National Trust members)
Stagecoach 39 runs a regular bus service from Exeter bus station (close to train station) to Bovey Tracey town centre. From here it is a fifteen minute walk along level ground to the estate.Bus service 39 also has an hourly service between Newton Abbot and Bovey Tracey.
- The car park is situated at the top of the estate. National Trust members can park for free.
- There are two designated accessible spaces in the car park, but visitors can be dropped off directly outside the café.
- Two additional accessible spaces are available down the hill beyond the café.
- The cafe has one accessible toilet and there are additional National Trust toilets nearby.
- The estate features a variety of surfaces. There are several rough and uneven surfaces and steep slopes.
- To read our detailed Accessibility Guide for Home Farm Cafe – click here
- To read an Access Statement by the National Trust about Parke – click here
- An all-terrain mobility vehicle is available for hire to use on a few routes around Parke. This Tramper is part of the Countryside Mobility Scheme and full driver training is provided. Get in touch with the NT rangers for more information and bookings (Monday – Friday): 01626 834748
With nature at every turn and the beautiful estate to meander round, there are several routes to explore. Click here for a nice easy route to get you started!
Head on down for a splash near the river, bring the dog, enjoy this lovely place and we’ll see you for a cuppa at the end of the day!
ABOUT THE PARKE ESTATE
A peaceful retreat set within the beautiful Devon countryside
We are proud tenants and supporters of the National Trust who look after this beautiful estate. There’s something for everyone at Parke, found on the outskirts of the small market town of Bovey Tracey, gateway to mystical Dartmoor. You can walk from the town (about one mile) or stop off as you drive to the open moor, where the next stop is the rugged crag of Haytor.
This compact estate was once the home of a wealthy local family and probably enabled them to be self-sufficient for all their day-to-day needs with
- a walled vegetable garden, fruit garden and orchard
- ice house, fish pond, grazing meadows for livestock and beehives for honey
- and gardens to wander in for spiritual refreshment.
So, take a short stroll around the garden, or a longer more strenuous walk through the woodlands and along the river to the medieval weir. Along the way, keep your eyes peeled for a myriad of wildlife and a host of wild flowers. Click here to be redirected to the National Trust’s website to find out more.
PARKRUN AT PARKE
What is Parke parkrun? – It is a 5km run – it’s you against the clock.
When is it? – Every Saturday at 9:00am.
What does it cost to join in? – Nothing – it’s free! but please register before your first run. Only ever register with parkrun once.
How fast do I have to be? – We all run for our own enjoyment. Please come along and join in whatever your pace!
Every week you can grab a post parkrun coffee and breakfast baguette or flapjack here at the café – please come and join us!
DOG WALKER’S HAVEN
Four legged friends are welcome here at Parke and our long room is dog friendly by day.
- Luxury Dog treats can be purchased, supplied by the wonderful Dog Treat Company based in Devon
- Dog bowls and drinking water is available for thirsty pooches
- Parke offers gorgeous walks for mans best friend and we offer excellent coffee & cake for their owners!
WE LOVE DARTMOOR
We are proud to stand alongside so many local businesses who support Dartmoor and who we recommend.
The area is beautiful, the vast expanse of scenery, open moorland and having it on our doorstep is Heaven in Devon.
Click here to see our Dartmoor Loves…